Tuesday, 22 April 2014

Paperartsy Weekly Challenge

I haven't played along with this challenge for a while but this weeks first post by Pam Thorburn did inspire me - I have a Gelli plate and I needed to use it more.

When I woke up yesterday morning I had a VERY clear vision in my head of what this page would look like - neutral light background with the monoprint prominent and a framed floral element - this is NOTHING like that vision :-))


It has somehow ended up with my favourite but overused colour combination of blue and orange - albeit muted - the paints are all PaperArtsy Fresco Finish. I'm not really happy with it though. I do like the background and I like the die cut flowers. I've added crayon to the painted background of the flowers using Prisma pencils and I have shaded around them with Bark Inktense pencil - these work quite well.The quote has got a little lost however and makes it look a bit messy - I need to re-think my 'journaling'. I will still enter it for the challenge - if it doesn't count that's fine - the monoprint is now invisible but I like to think it has added 'depth' to the finished piece. 

Here are the original monoprints ...


... and the one I chose to work with ... Neutral, Light and all ready for that fabulous floral thing in a frame???


This is where it started going wrong - still fairly pale but it just wasn't doing it for me ...


So I ended up here after painting another sheet with those gorgeous blue and green Fresco Finish paints


Back to the drawing board I guess



Two more greetings cards

 More cards - the original Pinterest ones are here and here 


...

Monday, 21 April 2014

Playing card 8

Another 'heart' added today - love making these - just a little larger than ATC size ...


Sunday, 20 April 2014

PaperArtsy Journal Challenge

Decided to have a go at Darcy's Journal page challenge this month over on the PaperArtsy blog ... however I have some limitations! I prefer to work on an smaller scale so cut my background card 6" x 5" ... because of the smaller size I only used a selection of the techniques Darcy used and my page is very different from hers ... although with a similar feel regarding the colours which I loved ...


The techniques I used were ...

1. Ripped book pages for texture - taken from this old Ready Reckoner bought this morning for 50 pence at a car boot sale.
2. Mainly translucent paints ... I painted my card first with Snowflake Fresco Finish as it was a piece of packing - you can see it top right in the picture below ...


I mixed some of the translucent colours together but forgot to write this down in detail ... I used Blood Orange, Beach Hut, Zesty Zing, Tango, Limelight, Hey Pesto, Pumpkin Soup and Inky Pool. Right at the end I used a little Mermaid to the flowers and Little Black Dress around the edge of the card. This is the card at this stage ... all wiped back with a baby wipe as I didn't want this too strong.


3. Glued in stamped images - the heart frame and the flowers were stamped on separate pieces of painted white card, cut out and glued down ... the turquoise border was stamped directly onto painted background in Snowflake paint then filled in with Snowflake and then with Beach Hut mixed with Inky Pool and then re-stamped (badly - this was tricky but in the end I liked the grungy look this gave) ... this is how Darcy did her border.
4. Window frame - not sure how successful this is really but i like the way the flowers are framed
5. Using a white pen to highlight
6. Masking off areas - the turquoise border was masked when heart border was stamped

To do my shading I used an Inktense pencil colour Bark and like how it 'grunged' this up a bit

I meant to take a few more photographs along the way but got so involved I forgot ... I used PaperArtsy stamps - Swirls and Curls 4 (an all time favourite) , HP1009 and LPC014

PS Some of the other techniques Darcy used are on yesterday's hanging heart post- just coincidence!


Saturday, 19 April 2014

Shabby Chic hanging heart

In a few weeks I will be attending Beryl Taylors UK workshops and can't wait. In 'preparation' I have been revisiting her work and have altered  an MDF hanging heart over the last few days in her 'style' - homage to Beryl. It is a little difficult to photograph I hope this gives you an idea ... I have used Paperartsy paints and Pewter Treasure Gold to achieve the finish ... its has a nice muted silver finish in real life ...



The heart is approximately 6" x 5". Just to demonstrate my process I have added some extra pictures below ...


Covering the heart with scrapbook paper ...


The heart painted and stencilled (there are some tissue paper strips added under the paint for a bit of texture and a little crackling around the edges using Paperartsy Crackle Glaze and as I said the paints used are Paperartsy Fresco Finish in gorgeous pinky purples - I used Vintage lace, Mushroom, Spanish Mulberry, Rose and Squid Ink ..


I made the charm with glass beads and a chain tassel and drilled a small hole at the bottom of the heart to hang it ...


The square is silver card dry embossed with my Cuttlebug and then painted with Fresco Finish paints to make it 'shabby' with some brads is each corner. The centre heart is card covered with a little padding and a piece of silk painted with the Fresco paints to match the rest of the project. I have stamped it with a text stamp and wound wire and beads around it - this is similar in design to a piece I created years ago that I still like ...










Friday, 18 April 2014

Another card

The original spotted the other day here .. a card by one of my all time favourite card makers Amy Scheffer - she is fabulous...




This looks much nicer in real life ... thank you for looking

Thursday, 17 April 2014

Cards

When my mojo goes missing I make cards .. here are two of todays ...



Pinterest is my source (inspiration) and you can see the originals here and here.